Dance curriculum and class numbering systems differ from studio to studio. For placement, our age ranges are just initial guidelines. Final placement is subject to the student’s prior dance experience and instructor assessment & approval. Please contact us if you need guidance on which classes are ideal for your dancer.
Creative Movement 1 & 2 – Ages 3 1/2 to 5
Youngsters discover the joy of dance in a nurturing, playful environment. These fun and engaging classes develop motor skills, strength, coordination and creativity. Props, imagery, and music inspire spontaneity and self-expression.
- 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 yrs: Saturday 9:30 am – 10:15 am
- 4 + yrs: Saturday 10:15 am – 11:00 am
- 4+ yrs: Monday 4:15 pm – 5:00 pm
Preparatory Dance 1 & 2 – Ages 5 to 7
This class helps children develop dance concepts that will be used in Ballet. Students learn beginning technique and basic terminology, while still emphasizing creative expression.
- Prep 1 (5+) Thursday’s 10:00 am – 11:00 am
- Prep 1 (5+) Tuesday’s 4:00 pm -5:00 pm
- Prep 1 (5+) Saturday’s 9:00 am – 10:00 am
- Prep 2 (6+) Tuesday’s 5:00 pm- 6:00 pm
- Prep 2 (6+) Saturday’s 11:30 am -12:30 pm
Dancers develop strength, flexibility and poise in this beautiful, artistic dance form. At TDS, ballet training reflects both the classical values and modern aesthetic of today’s dance world. A great choice not only for the serious ballet student, but for those just getting started in dance or dancers who want to sharpen their jazz, tap, hip hop, or musical theatre skills.
Ballet 1 – Ages 7+, once a week
- Tuesday 6:00 pm – 7:00 pm
- Saturday 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm
Ballet 2A & B – Ages 8+
- Tuesday 4:00 pm -5:00 pm (Ballet 2A – once per week)
- Thursday 4:00 – 5:00 pm (Ballet 2A – once per week)
- Tue. & Thu. 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Ballet 2B; both sessions required)
Ballet 3 – Ages 10+, twice a week required
- Tuesday & Thursday 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Ballet 4/5 – Ages 13+, twice a week required
- Wednesday & Thursday 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Pre-Pointe – Ballet 3 or 4/5 required
Pre-Pointe class studies conditioning techniques for ballet and potential dancing en pointe. Exercises in strengthening feet and ankles, core, balance, and body alignment are given to prepare a dancer for pointe work. Dancers must be at a minimum of age 11 and in Ballet Level 3 + at the beginning of the school year. Approval of Instructor is required.
- Tuesday 7:30 pm – 8:15 pm
- Thursday 7:30pm – 8:15 pm
Pointe – Add-on, Ballet 3 or 4/5 required
Pointe work is studied with careful attention to alignment, anatomical facility and artistry. Dancers are not allowed en pointe until readiness is achieved in strength and alignment, as well as evaluating anatomical facility and proneness to injury. Dancers are considered eligible for pointe work after completing one to two years of pre-pointe work. Going en pointe is not determined by age but by instructor evaluation for readiness. First-time pointe dancers purchase their pointe shoes with instructor at a dance wear store to ensure a good fit. If placed in pointe class, it is required dancers take the pre-pointe class preceding. Dancers coming from another school already en pointe will be evaluated by our instructors before continuing with our program.
- Wednesday 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- Thursday 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Beginning/Intermediate Ballet Teen – Registration required
- Thursday 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Adult Advanced Ballet/ Teen 4/5 with Instructor Permission – Drop In
- Saturday 10:00 am – 11:30 am
Stretching/Conditioning Technique – Ages 10+
- Saturday 11:30 am -12:30 pm
Jumps & Turns Technique – Ages 13 +, once a week for Ballet 3/4/5
- Sat 12:30 pm -1:30 pm (must also take Stretching 11:30 – 12:30)
Ballet Studies – Choreog, Improv, once a week (13+)
- Saturday 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm (intermediate/advanced)
Creative Modern – (10 – 12 yrs)
- Friday 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Ballet Modern – Ballet 3 + (13+ yrs)
- Friday 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Contemporary 1 & 2/3 – Ages 10+
Explore space, time, shape, and movement dynamics while developing core strength, agility and the ability to move three dimensionally through space. To fully develop dancers skills in this powerful technique, concurrent enrollment in Ballet is strongly recommended.
- Tues. 7-8 pm (Contemporary 1/2) must also be taking Ballet 1 or 2
- Wed. 4-5 pm (Contemporary http://www.thedanceschool.org/wp-admin/themes.php2/3) must also be taking Ballet 2 0r 3
- Wed. 5-6 pm (Contemporary 4) must also be taking Ballet 3 or 4/5
Lyrical – Ages 8-12
Lyrical Dance combines the many technical elements of classical ballet with the freedom, fluidity, expressiveness and airier aspects of jazz, contemporary and modern dance. A lyrical dancer uses movement to express strong emotions such as love, joy and anger.
- Th. 4-5 pm
Jazz 1/2, 2/3 & 4 – Ages 7+
Move to the rhythms of this exciting dance style seen in musical theater and entertainment. In fast paced, high-energy classes, you will gain strength, flexibility, coordination and endurance. Special emphasis on musicality and performance skills. Concurrent enrollment in Ballet is recommended.
- Mon. 5-6 pm (Jazz 1/2, 8+ yrs.) must also take Ballet 1 or 2
- Mon. 6-7:30 pm (Jazz 2/3, 10+ yrs.) must also take Ballet 2 or 3
- Mon. 7:30-9 pm (Jazz 4, 13+ yrs.) must also take Ballet 3 or 4/5
Dance for Theater – Ages 7+
Specifically dancing to show tunes. Emphasis on tap, jazz and performance-based dance styles. Concurrent enrollment in Ballet, Tap and/or Jazz is recommended.
- This class has been combined with the Jazz 1 class.
Learn to make music with your feet! This percussive dance form is exciting to watch and fun to perform. Combine dazzling speed and precision footwork with syncopated rhythms to perform thrilling dance sequences.
- Prep Tap (Ages 5+) Wednesday 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
- Tap 1/2 (Ages 8+) Wednesdy 6:30-7:30 pm
- Tap 3/4 Wednesday 4:30 pm – 5:30 pm
- Adult Beginning Tap Wednesday 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
Learn the latest moves of this dynamic dance form with roots in street dance. Music and moves are always age appropriate. A great choice for students new to dance or in combination with Jazz or Tap.
- Hip Hop 1 (Ages 7+) Mon. 4-5 pm
- Hip Hop 2/3 (Ages 10+, Instructor recommendation) Mon. 5-6 pm
- Hip Hop 3 (Advanced Teen) Mon. 6-7 pm
- Hip Hop Adult Beginning, 6 week workshops TBD (check our website & Facebook)
Drop-In Classes for Teens & Adults
Rekindle your love of dance or discover your inner artist. Maintain strength, body tone and flexibility in a cooperative, encouraging environment. Drop in classes require a minimum purchase of a 5 punch card.
- Barre (Teen & Adult) – Tues. 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm (drop in) & Thurs. 11:00 am-12:00 pm (drop in)
- Beginning/Int Ballet (Teen) – Thu. 5-6 pm (registration required)
- Intermediate/Advanced Ballet – Sat. 10-11:30 am (drop in)
Nutcracker Performance Class
We are pleased to announce that this year all of the students of The Dance School will be participating in our version of The Nutcracker. We will hold auditions for principal roles on September 6th. Please pick up the flyers with all of the information when you come in to register August 22nd through the 26th!
- Auditions held Sept 6th 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Auditions open to Ballet 2 and above.
- Performance on Sunday December 18 at Historic Everett Theater
- Must be enrolled in The Dance School to participate.